Friday, April 24, 2009

Foto Friday


The above photo was taken at Arches National Park. Nope, there is not an arch in the photo. But the mesa or plateau upon which Arches sits offers some wonderful visitas of the surrounding "low lands" and distant mountains.

Out west here you can literally see forever especially when away from a major city. From a hill not far from my house I can see a mountain ridge that is 126 miles away and on the other side of the Colorado/New Mexico border. That clarity can work against you in photography because it tends to "flatten" things out.

I am working on a painting where distance - or the sense of distance - is going to be critical so I went through my digital library of photos I have taken to pull up some of the ones where there is that sense of distance to study.
This particular day in Utah had some mist left over from rain storms that had passed through and that works to make the picture a more interesting one.

Some of the best days are not ideal for a great photograph.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate all kind comments on my art and poetry.