Sunday, August 23, 2009

Two New Diagional Misson Paintings.

Posting two of my newest little mission paintings. They are 12 x 12 and sell rapidly because of the diagonal layout.

Sun-drenched Mission

Under Rosy Sky

I have this superstition about painting crosses in my paintings. There are never two in a mission picture. This can be difficult if I try to stay with a faithful rendition of the church. Fortunately independent crosses in front of the church are a long standing tradition allowing three crosses in each of these paintings.

But I developed the shadow of the cross on the wall of each mission to be a fourth cross. I see this as moving beyond the crucifixion. I am not very religious but I am very superstitious as were many of the early attendees of these missions.

4 comments:

  1. Lovely work, Jacqui. I really like the little sheep in front of the mission in the second picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the effects you've achieved with the
    dreamy blue sky and the evening shadows of cross and church!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmm...maybe those weren't evening shadows,
    still dreamy blue sky!

    This rosy sky with the birds swirling overhead, the sunlight glinting off the
    belfry, and of course those fluffy cotton-Ball
    sheep of yours are such wonderful signatures
    you use to such wonderful effect...I like this, can you tell!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I think I got that, Dianne. You really like this one!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all kind comments on my art and poetry.