Monday, April 2, 2018

Week 13 - 2018 in Photographs

Day 85
 This week in photograph began because I could not find a photograph I had taken of one of my favorite old trucks, the International at the Eagle Nest Museum. I was going through photos to be put in my folder for possible prints as we are at the beginning of the art season. Some months ago I began the process of storing photos on external hard drives and jump drives and cleaning up my hard drive on my desktop. So since it was not right there on the immediately accessible files it seemed easier to hop in the car and travel the 12 miles to retake a series. It was a great day for photography.

Day 86

I love old cars and trucks. The rust patterns are fun to play around with in photo editing. And you don't have to worry about the glare off of shiny new paint jobs.

I am doing more playing around with black and white processing and the strong morning sun created great shadows which begged for black and white. The absence of color is featured in three of the four photographs featured this week. The leading photo, Day 85, was taken on the way back from Eagle Nest. Definitely past that golden morning hour all photography books and workshops tout. 

But a photographer friend of mine, Terry Atkin Rowe, just completed a workshop in Santa Fe on black and white landscape photography and shared that the middle of the day is better. I have been playing around with that. It certainly worked on the photograph of Wheeler Peak which leads off this week.


Day 87
 But the trip to Eagle Nest and back also yielded more colorful opportunities to record. The museum has various pieces of equipment with no labels but when have labels been important to a photographer.


Day 88

I have driven by this old car and garage and not stopped to take a picture. There is a house in front which is occupied and I didn't want to be a stalker. Plus the ever present power lines. But I had pulled off the road for the mountain pictures and it only took walking a few feet to point my long lens at the backyard.

You cannot pull over for a picture just anywhere because of the power lines. I am sure I am not the only photographer who has cursed them. But I do believe they have moved or removed some of them. A few weeks back there was a flurry of utility truck activity and now there is an empty power pole or two and areas with no lines across the view. I need to take the trip to Eagle Nest again and see what else is revealed.



Day 89

Day 90
 I end this week with a rose from a greenhouse I tend. And I have posted both the black and white version and the red, red rose version.

Day 91

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate all kind comments on my art and poetry.