Monday, November 25, 2019

Where Are All the Flowers?

Red Rose

Last blog was about winter scenes and this is about flowers. When I used to do a photo a day and a weekly post here I had my photographic efforts organized by those blogs. I stopped that in 2018 and so 2019 is a jumble of dated uploads on my hard drive.

Not a problem for me until the time comes around for garden club photographic entries or a friend asks for three flower photographs as a Christmas gift for a mutual friend. Easy, huh? Just go to the summer months. It snowed the 23 of May and nothing bloomed in June because it was too cool. And the lead photo is from a green house, and the last one from my studio in February.


Yellow Banded Bumble Bees in a sunflower

Fall redeemed the season which seemed all too in a rush to bloom and seed and go away before winter returned. Summer 2018 had been a great year for flower photography but all my best flower photos of 2019 seemed to be in chasing the insects in a frenzy to get all the pollen they could while it lasted.


Fly in a Hollyhock

The star of the summer

And oh, the Painted Ladies. They were just everywhere. One of the largest migrations going of these butterflies this summer.  And I never seemed to have passed up an opportunity to attempt a photographic capture from their first appearance on milk thistle through yellow cone flowers.

Danse Pour Deux

Solo Performance

As a gardener disappointed by my hollyhocks, poppies, and sunflowers I found solace in the wonderful return blooms of my orchids in the studio. They are preparing to do it yet again.

Return Performance 

Georgia O'Keeffe is quoted as saying she didn't much like flowers but painted them because they were cheap models. I hardly ever paint time but I love to photograph them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate all kind comments on my art and poetry.