Monday, October 25, 2021

Three New Giclée Prints

Crown Grove

I decided to send off three photographs to a new printer I have found on line. They were having a sale and it seemed a good time to invest in inventory which could be sold during the holiday season.

The real plus with photography is it can be kept in the computer till time to sell. This is different than painting which requires an investment in materials before you even begin. So when money is short giclée prints are unrealized. Good for the photographer but difficult for the art buyer. They have a difficult time looking at a digital image on their computer and imagining it hanging on the wall.

And I have in the years of selling giclée canvas prints dealt with printers personally. Even sat at their side and approved changes they made before printing. And I have gotten the canvas or paper prints and done my own stretching, framing or matting. Prints on paper, matted and framed are very easy to do in house . . . or in studio and at times I have simply done a print and mailed it to the buyer for them to have framed. It is a big problem shipping a frame with glass. And expensive.

Stretched canvas art is lighter and easier to ship. But another side effect of having my photographs printed on canvas is the buyer (and the viewer) often sees them as paintings. They sell cheaper than paintings but obviously translate as "art" more than prints on paper under glass. And the price point is definitely attractive to the buyer. Businesses like Enchanted Circle Brewery in Angel Fire seek art on their walls. And it is easier for us artists to provide it if it is a canvas print.


Heading Home



It is going to be a good year to sell art. I say optimistically. Two years of galleries and studios being shut down has homeowners wanting art on their walls. Especially all the new home owners following the recent real estate boom. And it looks as if supply chain issues will not be a consideration with local artists. The items you buy from local artists will not be lost in a container which fell off a barge in the harbor.

And most of us switched to buying our supplies locally when the pandemic shut everything down in 2021. Whether printers will have issues with canvas and inks remains to be seen. It just seemed wise to have some of my images put on canvas to hang on walls even if the wall space is getting scarce. But I sold four paintings off my walls and two giclée's off the Brewery walls so it seemed a good time to invest.

 

Bench in Autumn 

 

And the really good news is these can be reprinted. Part of this exercise was to determine the turn around time required by my new professional printer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate all kind comments on my art and poetry.