Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Magpie 50 - Change of Direction


First for those of you I sucked in with my previous Magpie the link to more of The Skating Party. I have decided to post weekly episodes (let's hope weekly) to my other blog Sidetracked Charley as going back to short story writing from poetry is a sidetrack. But then going back to poetry from fiction writing was a sidetrack too.

I digress, on to this week's Magpie.

Change of Direction

Slow going
On a snow packed road
Fighting her way back home
Storm or no storm
Weary from the struggle.

Then the arrow
Suspended in the air
Before her windshield
As the sun finally broke the storm
Directing her right.

She pulled into the lane
Just to shake the fatigue
Getting out into the cold air
Feet sinking in the snow
Before Derek's house.

She had not come before
When the black wreath on the door was new
Unable to face him not returning from war
She had stayed in the city
With her memories of his life.

Now she cried
For him
Herself
And the parents
She came to bury.

Jacqui Binford-Bell 2011

14 comments:

  1. Jacqui ... I'm crying on a cold Wednesday afternoon. Good job!!! Few manage to move me that way!!!

    Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow... wiping the tears... sidetracked by all that life hands us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to make you cry. I wrote this stream of consciousness on one cup of coffee this morning. And if it is any consultation I was crying too by the last line.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heart wrenching. Finely crafted, to be sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's a lot of story hidden in those verses!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A pithy, soulful piece. We suffer similarly sometimes but with our different paths. I've always enjoyed being 'voyeur' :) to your many creative venues, as you are to mine. Keep on keepin' on!
    HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Rinkly Rhymes (above). A touching story buried here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The black wreath is such a chilling image. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The black wreath image is strong, very emotional poem.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very moving take on this week's prompt.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all kind comments on my art and poetry.