Sunday, January 22, 2017

Week Three - 2017 in Photographs

Day 15
 I promise more color in the third week of the year 2017. But this has been a strange January. Even the snow as been atypical. The weather services have not been able to make up their minds on forecasts. Wintry mix is over used and rain/snow mix once seen here only in October or late March as been the standard.

NOAA persists in using the word accumulation for what I always used to call a dusting. Note: Accumulation of less than 1/2 an inch is a dusting. And snow of a greater amount covered with a thick layer of ice is not a wintry mix. It is dangerous.

Day 16
 That said it has made for some interesting photo opportunities. The snow does not cover all the grasses. And with the hardened surface makes for for some nice shadows. And the clouds have been memorable.


Day 17

Day 18
 But the 30-55 mph winds with gusts up to 70 has made spending time in a green house preferable on those days.

Day 19

Day 20
 I photographed the asperitas clouds above and below one morning out and about with my camera. My father was a pilot and he taught me all about clouds. He didn't mention these. I had to look them up and discovered they were not actually identified and named until 2009. Which raises the question of where they were before that time. I discovered the Cloud Appreciation Society. There do seem to be photos of this sort of cloud captured in Tasmania in 2004. So why are they popping up over the mountains of New Mexico?

Day 21
I love them. I invite them back. I am also thrilled there are people who openly admit to appreciating clouds. I want to study them. The clouds. The members of the society are welcome to visit too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate all kind comments on my art and poetry.