Thursday, August 16, 2018

The High Road - From Computer to Reality

The basic 48 x 32 Stretcher bars
Taking the photograph is the easy part. And it is very easy to post them on the internet. It becomes more difficult when you choose what size to print a photograph and on what platform you want to print it. I love photographs printed on canvas. It means no mats to cut and no glass to handle. And when I print photographs for display or exhibit purposes I choose in the neighborhood of 30 x 20. That was the size I first had The High Road printed in color. It sold within the first week it was on display.



I paint mostly within that range. Though Meraki Mustangs is 46 x 22. And I did a commission with the biggest measurement being 72 inches. But my studio and supplies are not set up to handle routinely the larger sizes. Part of the reason for rearranging my studio was to allow for handling bigger paintings and photographic prints. A painting begins with stretching a canvas and a photograph culminates in stretching the canvas.

Temporary Work Table 

To handle stretching a 48 x 32 inch canvas print. I put two folding tables together in the middle of my newly created work space. Fortunately these tables have adjustable heights so I was able to lower them to a comfortable height for stretching and stapling.


Putting in the center brace

Stretcher bars need to be squared. They don't just do that on their own. And for longer than 36 inches they require a center brace. These are heavy duty wide stretchers. I usually work with medium. Both are considered acceptable for galleries.

Print on stands to paint edges

There is a return, thankfully, to not framing canvas paintings and prints on medium or wide stretcher bars. I prefer painting the edges black.


Painting the edges
 I still have to affix hanging hardware sign the new photograph. Meanwhile the problem is finding a place to place it. I stood it against the studio chairs while I changed out the covering on the tables for the next stage. Off with the plastic for painting and on with the sheet to protect it. Then wrapping it up in a blanket for delivery.

The print waiting for signing and hanging

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate all kind comments on my art and poetry.