Friday, December 5, 2008

Shadow Life

I am first a painter. I see photography as a tool for painting. I go out with my cameras and take quick photos that I will later use as a base for paintings. But every so often I get one of those photographs that stands alone as just a great photograph. I think this candid shot is one of those. I call it Shadow Life.

A friend on another blog said I should enter it in a competition. I am so out of touch with the photography world I haven't a clue. But I do think I will print this one out and frame it to hang on my wall because it pleases me. I think art should not be always about sales and competitions. So I consider photography and my jewelry making like tithing. And what I gain from those experiences help me to refresh my creativity on my painting. Gets me out of paint to sell mode.

Art should be about expression. Customers should buy works because they connect to what you were trying to express with that particular work of art. But they do buy because it matches the room decor. And they avoid work that can be disturbing. One viewer of this photograph though it less than happy.

Yes, and that is why I like it. It makes a statement about life.

1 comment:

  1. I love the colors, light, shapes & the shadows. The moving figure, too. Looking forward to your painting from this! Hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all kind comments on my art and poetry.