Monday, December 5, 2011

Magpie Tales 94 - Isolation

Lunch by George Tooker
Isolation

Not natural
to eat
with a pack that is not yours.

We share
bread
only with our friends.

And eat
totally alone
when surrounded by strangers.

J. Binford-Bell
December 2011

I dined with friends last night. The experience was so dynamically different than George Tooker's painting. I live in a near wilderness surrounded by open space. But once I lived in a crowded city and took of food in crowded diners. Never I think was I so alone. So are all of Tooker's diners.

For more takes on the Magpie Tales prompt.

12 comments:

  1. Oh, we are sort of on the same track this week. I like yours. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had never given much thought to what it feels like eating among strangers ... your poem made me take a look. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And it's so sad, isn't it. Your prose is so raw in its truth. very sad indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, great image and connection with the poem. Good emotion.
    William

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice connection to the pack...yes in a strange pack the wolf tends to guard its food...hmm...perhaps we are not much different...

    ReplyDelete
  6. A mouth full in a small bite....great writing Jacqui!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well-said! Excellent take on this MAgpie, Jacqui!

    ReplyDelete
  8. isolation is a very scary identity to one's own being... you have spoken well..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very pertinent observations...

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so true. If I eat alone (with strangers) I buy a newspaper to bury my head in.

    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete
  11. My daughter lives in NY and it's very typical to eat alone in the city...not so much here in the Midwest...

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all kind comments on my art and poetry.