Friday, November 18, 2016

The Edge Series

On the Edge
30 x 18 Mixed Media on Artists Canvas
$1350
 On the Edge above is my first painting about the starkness of life. To some degree they are inspired by the canyons of the Colorado Plateau which I paint frequently. But more they were hatched, if you will, from my experience in October 2011 visiting the Painted Desert and Petrified Forest National Parks.

Some inspiration takes longer to peculate through the subconscious than others. And this series came by way of a visit to the Clayton-Raton Volcanic Field.  That visit resulted in the Fat Grass series of paintings and a departure into green in my palate. But it had the same emptiness and loneliness of the Painted Deserts of the Southwest. And because of volcanic births the same energy.

I took the emptiness I found on the volcanic field of Clayton and Raton and carried it back to the haunting memories of my visit to the canyons of Arizona and came up with On the Edge. Painting number two of the series was Over the edge. And the newest is End of Days which I just finished. This series is my most abstract.

Water or the lack of water still figures as a subtext in these landscapes. The flock of crows is down to a solitary raven somewhere in the sky.

Having just finished The End of Days I find myself already sketching out in my mind the next in this series.


End of Days
16 x 30 Watercolor on Artists Canvas
$1200

Over the Edge
18 x 24 Mixed Media on Artists Canvas
$975

Purple Sage
19 x 36 Mixed Media on Artists Canvas
$1600

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate all kind comments on my art and poetry.