Saturday, January 6, 2018

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions

Bristle Cone Pine Cone
Balfourianae
Sticky Stuff
So once again I a culling through photo files to come up with submissions for a contest. This one to the New Mexico Garden Clubs. I am new to garden clubs. And seem to go for weeds in the horticulture category I am split between submitting the Bristle Cone Pine Cone above or the Monk Thistle below. Wise to note I won the flower show with an onion blossom. So I did not even consider any of my photographs of cultivated flowers.



Musk Thistle
carduus nutans

But after horticulture it doesn't get any easier. There is a butterfly and an insect category. I have three pictures of butterflies. I joined the garden club to identify flowers I took pictures of and now I am identifying butterflies.

Small Wood Nymph
Cercyonis pegala

Painted Lady on Cone Flower
vanessa viiginiensis
echinaea paradoxa

Sylvan Hairstreak on Thistle
satyrium sylvinus

Leaning toward the first two with one in the insect category.

Doe and Fawn in the snow
Mule deer -  odocoileus hemionus

Deer above or Chipmonk below for wildlife.

Least Chipmunk of Northern New Mexico
tamias minimas 

And for bird. Though a turkey is also wildlife.

Wild Tom Turkey on the make
meleagris gallopavo

Which brings us to Landscape category. Frequent visitors to this site have seen a lot of my landscapes but because it is a garden club I am leaning toward the field of Cowpen Daisies below.

Skipping through the field of Cowpen daisies
verbesina encelioides

But I also like the one below.

Reflections on the High Plains
Stubblefield Reservoir

Like I said, decisions, decisions, decisions. 

1 comment:

I appreciate all kind comments on my art and poetry.