Monday, September 22, 2008

Completed












The Source

Mixed Media on Canvas
20" x 16"





I said I would post the revised painting after I made the changes and rephotographed it. In the 20 x 16 painting I find the changes dramatic and knowing where to look on this photograph I an see the advantage of the changes but can you?

I used to do a lot of freelance writing of articles and won some awards for fiction writing. Taking a course in fiction once the lecturer was talking about the "thump" that can disengage the reader from the alternate reality you have created. I a good painting is an alternate reality and the wrong line in the wrong place or the wrong intensity or color can be the thump that causes the viewer to disengage.

I have a gallery reception on Friday and I get to see patron reactions to my works. I love it when they just stare as if mesmerized because that means they have been lured in. A frown can mean they hit that thump. Are all people susceptible to the same thumps?

I don't think you can please all the people all the time. Sometimes you get the frown almost immediately as they pass by to the next artist. Some people love my churches and New Mexico landscapes but are almost afraid of my canyons and the goddesses in them. Flowers would be safe but too many artists in my area do flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate all kind comments on my art and poetry.