Monday, July 9, 2018

Week 27 - 2018 in Photographs

Day 182
 Two atmospheric events seemed to have happened on the same day: Forest fire smoke, and monsoonal moisture. Day 182 is not digitally manipulated. I was out looking for dog toys to restock my chucking supply on the deck and had the camera over my shoulder just in case the goats would maybe come wandering down the road. When I turned back toward my house with arms full this was the sky which made me set all those balls down and take the photograph. Of course the dogs following me around grabbed the balls and took off.

But I got this photograph. The Sardinas Fire, human caused on top of the mountain provided the smoke. The actual column of smoke is off camera to the left. The roof line is my house. And the tree to the left of it was only 5 feet tall when I moved in. This photo is proof it is now taller than my two story home which I bought because it was in a valley with no trees but this one.


Day 183

The tree line begins across the street from me. The Sentinel Tree, the tall one in this photo, has been struck more than once by lightning. In this photo it marks the dividing line of the smoke and the clear sky. The North American Monsoons set up provided the clouds to make for a noisy sky which are perfect for black and white treatments. These four photos were taken standing on my driveway and recording the subtle changes in clouds and light.


Day 184

Day 185

Day 187

The thunderhead below grew from nothing. When it first appeared, the bottom part, I thought it might be a new fire. After a dry winter and no spring rains to speak of the forest is on fire. I live in a meadow but am surrounded by forests. On the day I took the photo below we had a big one, the Ute Park Fire and the smaller one, the Sardinas Fire on either side. 

As I type this there are two others, the Morris Creek fire and the Emily fire contributing to the smoke which you can always smell in the morning. So not alarmist to think any new cloud could be smoke. Monsoon season is know for its thunderheads. 


Day 186

And when the sun sets they turn red and orange and purple and look as if they are on fire themselves. The photo below is the left side of the photo above. I can tell by the trees on the mountain ridge. Photographs were taken from the deck of the house in the first photo.


Day 188

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate all kind comments on my art and poetry.