Sunday, July 1, 2018

Week 26 - 2018 in Photographs

Day 175
Ocate to Wagon Mound is definitely a road less traveled for me. My post office is in Ocate. I don't have to go there to get my mail because I am on a rural route but I find that valley of ranchers magnetic and take to get to La Cuerva where the Raspberry ranch and green houses are. But on this occasion I took it because the fire closed the short route and I had someone to meet in Wagon Mound. I, of course, stopped to take photographs. A couple in Ocate I had not taken before and then Ojo Feliz and the south edge of the Clayton-Raton Volcanic Field.


Day 176
  
This crumbling house on the eastern edge of Ocate I have photographed before. But on this particular day I was drawn by the way it framed Laughlin Peak in the background. And I have photographed that volcano more than once. I have even painted it.

The travelers on the Santa Fe trail used the volcanic peaks which are scattered across the high plain as sign posts. Settlers used them later to mark where they lived and their neighbors ranch gate should be. You become familiar with the shape of a peak from any direction.  I believe that is Laughlin Peak again between the two volcanic mesas. One day I must find a view of it from the south.

Day 177

Day 178

There is a tree in the saddle of these two remnants of a more violent era. It sits on the right slope. Oh, yes there are other trees on the front and right of that butte. But that one tree in the saddle seems alone. I find myself wondering if just out of view there is a grove of trees. If not how did that one tree come to be there alone.

In what is no longer the town of Ojo Feliz there is this marvelous old shotgun adobe which like that tree in the saddle drew my attention. There was no convenient place to pull off the road so most of these are taken from the window of my pickup truck: creep by photography. It has its advantages. The window can be raised or lowered to just the right spot to be a tripod. And the cab can be a screen from the glare of the sun. You need to know how to fold in your rear view mirror to get it out of the way or serve as another tripod.

While creeping along you have to watch for other traffic on the road, of course. Good idea to have your flashers on. When you have taken the photos you want continue to creep looking for a place to pull off and park for the next trip. Record that in you notebook beside you in the seat with a mention of time of day. If I want to photograph the other side of this building it will have to be in the late afternoon. I wrote that down.

I will go back to Ojo Feliz and maybe this time make it all the way into Wagon Mound.

Day 179

Day 180

Day 181

2 comments:

  1. In my adobe hacienda
    There's a touch of New Mexicooooooooooooo :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all kind comments on my art and poetry.