Monday, April 12, 2010

Cats in the Studio


I am a pet person and my fur kids have been in the studio from the very beginning. In fact the cat ladder was one of the first pieces of studio furniture I made and before the finishing was even done. Making Willow a ladder was one way of keeping her off my ladder I was using for painting and trimming. And the theory was it would give her a place to watch the action without being in the paints.


But yesterday as I was transferring the sketch for the 26 x 63 commission to canvas Willow pounced up on top of the table I had the canvas on and right onto the canvas with muddy paws. Bad Cat! But it raised an interesting issue. Prior to this one large painting drying canvases have fit in flat files out of danger. There is no flat file big enough for this painting so I am going to have to close the door.

Something tells me Willow is not going to like this. I have other cats and two dogs and when I am in the studio working they are all there sunning themselves on the warm tile floor or the studio chairs or window sills. And perhaps that can continue. But at the end of work while this painting is in process they are all going to have to leave with me. Aaah the things we do for our art.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this!! I have a cat that wants to be right in the middle of everything while I'm trying to paint. She usually tries to sit up on my supply stand, which is just inches away from the easel. What she doesn't understand is that her fur, which sheds a lot, starts drifting and floating into to the wet paint. Not a good thing.

    I've been trying to get her to sit in other spots to watch me paint and I think I may have found an alternative for her yesterday...she loves sitting in my camping chair that I got for attending shows, so I'm hoping that will work. Any additional advice for keeping curious kitties at bay would be a HUGE help!

    BTW - Thank you for sharing your creative inspirations; I really enjoy your art & blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A friend at the art store I frequent says he considers pet hair part of the composition. With Watercolor it does not stick generally. And I have a brush I keep in a plastic bag for brushing off canvases before painting and before sealing.

    There are supplements you can add to their food to reduce shedding. And squirt guns are good for correction from a distance. Cats can be taught but they do like to be close and able to see what is going on. The also love warmth ergo sitting on window sills in the sun. But a friend told me you can direct them to spots by putting a heating pad on low where you want them.

    Thank you, Michelle, for the compliments about the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the counsel; I think I'll go and get Katy some vitamins/suppliments to see if that will help some. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor Willow in that photo...wanting to go inside with the other fur kids. I do find it amusing and I'm wondering how on earth she gets up on the ladder rungs?

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all kind comments on my art and poetry.