|Mystic Mustangs by J. Binford-Bell|
19 x 44 Mixed Media on Artists Canvas
Once the horses were overlapped and positioned I outlined them and then put the sketch on the table to fill in background features and elaborate on manes and tails. I also had to erase and re-position some legs for clarity.
|Beginning of the sketch|
Then stretch the canvas and transfer the sketch. Not easy with larger paintings because of slippage which can occur. Then all the tops of the horses had to be masked off so the sky could be poured. A long thin sky isn't easy to pour especially with the added details of manes and heads and mouths. I work on the flat in this part of the process. The table was once white.
|Trying to get the sky right|
|Still not happy with sky but moving ahead|
|Background and foreground base filled in|
|Coloring in horses|
|Filling in the foreground using oil sticks|
This was personally my least favorite part of the process. I still hated the sky. The detail of the horses seemed to only make it worse. There was entirely too many legs.
I got to the point I was going to toss the painting if I could not get the sky right. So back to the horizontal with the painting tilted just a bit legs up so I could control where the paint ran. The ink stick shrubs in the front began to draw the horses together, but still too many legs.
|Getting close enough for ravens|
A friend that followed my progress postings on Binford-Bell Studio remarked that it took me only four days to get from the pouring of the sky to the painting just above this one. But the sketch had taken a week even with reusing some horse drawings from the smaller painting. And the tweaking took another week. I used inks, watercolors and oil sticks.