Sunday, October 1, 2017

The Studio September 2017

The Prussian Blue Wall

Taking photographs of my studio has been a challenge. All the walls are not the same height and the light can work for or against me. I have come to know there are certain times of the day when I will get less glare from the sun through the windows, etc. This week the process was helped along by rain dimming the sunlight.

And in the case of the photograph below which sits in the corner surrounded by windows it is best to record it before the sun comes up. In the winter this is where I sit to have coffee or read or just bask in the warmth of the sun drenching the plants. As I told many people who stopped by on the studio tour this room was suppose to be a greenhouse which provided passive solar heating to the house. It is that but it is also my gallery and studio.

Tea corner

The meeting of the arts

The west corner is where the arts meet. Painting and photography and my original bead jewelry meet with my collection of still life stuff; the collectibles I use to stage photographic challenges in the cold winter months when I don't want to go outside with the camera. Crystal vases, bones, rocks, crosses all get dusted and staged. Decluttering is not something which serves an artist well. Never get rid of all your props. 


The portable wall separating the work area

Art is messy and requires furniture to tools to support it. The portable wall runs beside the large flat file where I store mat board and paper. It serves as a work table for matting and framing my photographs as well as a large surface for doing drawings for my larger paintings. The grey mound in the lower left is my compound miter saw for making frames.


The East Corner

Over the drawing and work table

This wall gets most of the new paintings. And as it is across from the studio door I realize its impact on visitors. But it can be the messiest area because the work table and flat files are arrayed under it and around the corner. Ending at the easel and the director chair where the studio cat often sits.

North wall with north light

There are also paintings over the doors and windows on the east but I did not include them in this review of the studio because I did not rearrange it.

1 comment:

I appreciate all kind comments on my art and poetry.